Monday, July 23, 2007

Ranto rama



Is it just me (I have the sneaking suspicion that it is) or does the new movie version of "Hairspray" seem really unnecessary? I'm sure the musical was just fine and dandy blah blah blah, but really....do we really need to see John Travolta dressed as Edna Turnblatt? From the brief clips I've seen (the clips may have been longer, but I couldn't force myself to watch them), it seems as if the musical has completely toned down the trashy parts of the original movie...not that the original was as trashy as some of Mr.Waters' other work, but it at least had a little element of sleaze to it that was so...endearing. At least to me, but I have this feeling that I am not exactly representing the American people on this one. Anyway....does John Travolta play the station owner in this movie as well as Edna? I guess it all boils down to the fact that without Divine, this movie seems like a waste. Of course, I could be wrong, but I think this is one of those rare occasions when I'm not. I just hope John Waters has made a shit ton of money out of the musical and the movie and will be turning out a quality movie sometime in the future.

No comments: